The COVID-19 recession, also known as The Great Shutdown has left us all shook. This is the economic aftermath of the global coronavirus pandemic. According to IMF speculations, it is more severe than the great depression. Amid these struggling times, it is obvious for aspiring entrepreneurs to feel stuck, demotivated, and stressed out. Whilst the downturns, investing in mobile app ideas might seem like a flying pig thing. Although we cannot ignore the most genuine fact about these harsh times, —
This is neither the first nor the last recession
Never lose hope! The most admired startups like Pinterest, WhatsApp, Uber, and many more started during the 2009 recession! “History repeats itself”– this is to remind you – there will be some startups that will be born during the recession and flourish for a lifetime.
Let us work on finding the crux of their success story. What was the strategy of these startups that worked during the recession? What took them to become the giants? All they did is to invest in an innovative app idea when the world was struggling to come out of the downturns!
Being an industry veteran, Sparx IT Solutions, an app development company, wants every wantrepreneur to look at the silver lining around the ongoing economic slowdown. This is the time when we must read this quote from the most successful business magnate of all time.
“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” – Henry Ford, American Industrialist, and Business Magnate.
New Normal: Advanced Mobile App Ideas
It is true that many startups succeeded in the 2009 recession. Following their pattern will not help as every problem has unique solutions. If you analyze the current situation, the storm is unsteady and the crowd is moving with it. If you decide to start your startup during COVID, you will learn to move ahead or the opposite of the crowd.
The COVID pandemic outbreak has hit the planet out of the blue. The surprise demands more reactions after the first expression of shock! The other reaction needs to be smart, prompt, and long-lasting.
Contactless deliveries by eCommerce stores like Amazon are one smart solution amidst this pandemic. Entrepreneurs are full of out-of-the-box ideas. Situations like these demand unconventional solutions.
This is why we are sharing some uncommon and smart mobile app ideas for startups during the pandemic. You can choose among them to experience a quick and sorted growth in post-COVID times.
7 Mobile App Ideas for Startups that will Help you During COVID Times
It is the perfect time to exploit the situation and turn it in your favor. Here is a list of mobile app ideas that you should think about. This list is created after understanding the current facts and situation of the industry.
Telemedicine App – Support the Community
Overview: Telemedicine has emerged as the most crucial services during the COVID period. Amid the emergency situation in the healthcare industry, telemedicine is the foremost hope. The World Health Organization counted it as one of the prioritized areas to strengthen healthcare services.
Why? The healthcare industry is looking forward to more investors in telemedicine services. Getting a telemedicine app developed will not only open doors for revenues but also help you improve the shattered global healthcare system.
How? There are various telemedicine apps performing brilliantly well in the industry. These apps are a respite for non-COVID patients. It is a safe medium to avail of healthcare services while maintaining social distancing.
There is an influx of patients on these apps during 2020. Telemedicine app development like doctor-on-demand will allow you to share their burden. It is time to stand by your community. No one except a zealous aspiring entrepreneur with a good heart can do this!
What Features Should Your Telemedicine App Must-Have?
- Registration: It is important to make your users fill the form with basic medical details.
- Patients’ Profile: This will include the history of the treatment availed by a patient.
- Doctors’ Profile: The education, experience, and expertise details will be available here.
- Appointment and Calendar: This helps in managing the schedule of a patient’s treatments and consultations.
- In-App Calls: This improves the consultation process and helps in record keeping.
- Geolocation: In case of emergencies, it is important to have the feature to track the location of patients.
- Payment Integration: Safe and reliable payment gateways should be used.
- Push Notifications: It is a crucial feature to keep your users updated about upcoming appointments and medications.
- Ratings and reviews: The patient should be given this option to rate and review the consultation of a doctor.
Video Chat App – Help People to Connect Socially
Overview: People are advised to stay indoors. Amid this pandemic, 88% of organizations have encouraged their employees to work from home. We all have seen the surged demands for video calling apps like Zoom and GoogleMeet.
Why? We are advised to follow physical distancing which is not equal to social distancing! Hence, to bring people closer socially, we need more video chat apps. This satisfies the demands of all age groups and entities.
How? The competition is fierce in this category of mobile apps. You need to provide some custom features to make your mobile app competitive. Get a video chat mobile app developed to explore the avenues of earning easy profits during COVID.
What Features Should Your Video Chat App Must-Have?
- Social Media/Google API integration: A basic step for registration which allows the users to get in touch with their connections/friends on social media.
- Video Calls: There is no meaning of launching a video chat app with this feature
- Group Calls: Every other video chat app has a group calling option, so it is vital to include this.
- Chats: Network does not support a seamless video calling option always. Group chats help people to communicate over text.
- User online status: You can have this feature with an option to hide the status.
- Animations and Filters: AR technology integration will allow you to engage your users better.
- End-to-End Encryption: These calls are used for personal as well as professional purposes. Both of them demand high security of data. Hence, this feature is crucial for users these days.
- Push Notifications: Let users get updates about changes, messages, or missed calls.
- Geolocation: This helps in sharing location with friends.
- Customer Support: Provide support to your users with customer support chat or call options.
eLearning App – NewFound Pillars of Education
Overview: This pandemic has broken all past records of disruptions in imparting education. According to UNESCO, on a global level 143 country-wide school closure has been caused by COVID-19. In these times, eLearning apps have become a support to the education industry.
Why? The affected learners have moved onto the modern ways of education. eLearning apps have seen a sudden surge in downloading rate in 2020. Strengthening the education system is as important as strengthening the healthcare industry.
How? There are plenty of eLearning platforms like Coursera that have been helping students and teachers to stay connected with the learning process in the same way as during pre-COVID times. As a result, this is bringing profits and appreciation towards these apps which makes the idea to get eLearning app development a smart choice.
What Features Should Your eLearning App Must-Have?
- Student Registration: The first feature will be to get your learners registered with their basic details.
- Course Search and Recommendations: Provide easy and smooth navigation for the various courses.
- Dashboard: This will help learners find out their progress, assessment details, and courses purchased.
- Push Notifications: Use this feature to update users about new changes, upcoming tests, or course additions.
- Payment Gateway Integration: Fees payment is an important way of earning profits. Provide users with safe payment options.
- Support: There are times when things don’t go well. This feature will allow users to gain support from your admin.
Health and Fitness App – Let People Assess Health
Overview: The change in lifestyle is becoming hard for most of us to adapt. The lack of physical activities is making it worse. This has left us with no option except looking up to an app that can help us in staying fit.
Why? Fitness apps have seen a growth of 47% in downloads rate. The netizens who never used these apps have started including them in their smartphones. Therefore, launching a fitness app amid this pandemic clearly indicates the smartness of a mind. You know where to explore what!
How? The MVP features of these apps are pretty simple and end up with low mobile app development cost. The umbrella of fitness mobile post-COVID app ideas is huge. You can choose your niche and become a pioneer amongst the plethora of newbies.
What Features Should Your Health and Fitness App Must-Have?
- Registration: Make sure to take information regarding body weight, height, illness, or other health-related things.
- Home Workout Videos: This allows people to practice safe workout at home without any guidance.
- Calorie Count: You can provide this calculator to allow users to easily track their calories in-take.
- Health Experts Advice: Allow users to get in touch with proficient health experts who can help them in keeping healthy.
- In-app chat and calls: Health experts can easily connect with users with over chat and call with this feature.
- Support: Let your users communicate their experience to the support team.
- Payment Gateways: The premium plans can be bought with easy and safe payment options in your app.
Prayer App – Crisis Calls for Stronger Faith
Overview: We all have read the news of how religious gatherings have added fuel to the coronavirus fire around the globe. Undoubtedly, faith is the last hope during such a crisis situation. Gathering at public religious meets is not the right option.
Why? In order to curb the corona spread in religious gatherings, we need to offer people with online platforms. The Church app development or prayer platform development has become a popular option for religious communities.
How? To launch an online prayer platform, you do not have to be a church owner or trustee. You can be anyone who wants people to connect over a platform. In addition, these apps can also be used for raising help for the people in dire need.
What Features Should Your Prayer App Must-Have?
- Registration: It is important to get your user registered to develop a long-term relationship with them.
- Live Video Streaming: This allows users to attend religious meetings while maintaining physical distancing.
- Push Notification: Keep people connected and engaged with notifying them about everything
- Social Media Integrations: Allow people to connect their profiles with social media. It will improve your reach.
- Donation: This allows you to generate funds for the community
Read More: How To Create an Online Prayer Platform?
Mental Health Apps- Witnessing a Never-Ending Demand
Overview: Millions of people lost their jobs; thousands of people are suffering in silence. Every recession brings a topic of suicide with it. Although suicide is an extreme step, there are plenty of other mental health challenges that every person is facing during the lockdown.
Why? Given the harsh impact of the COVID situation on the mental health of people, we need to revamp the mental healthcare services. Mental health app development has become popular since these apps have started drawing a wave of new users.
How? For these apps, it is advised to get in touch with mental health practitioners who can add value to your solutions. If you are unable to do so, then go for mental health post-COVID app ideas wherein professionals are not required. For example, meditation apps with pre-downloaded videos.
What Features Should Your Mental-Health App Must-Have?
- Registration: Understand the state of your users and their core focus areas regarding mental health in the registration form.
- Self-Help Content: These can be articles, books, videos, infographics to help people in coping up with their emotions.
- Mediation Videos: This helps users to achieve different goals for decreasing anxiety and gaining patience. You can include videos from various sources.
- Self-Assessment Quiz: This will help users in judging their state of mind. It will get easier for them to find the relevant content.
- Professional Guidance: In case, the user will have the need for expert consultation then your app must have this feature too.
- Emergency Call: There are emergency situations like suicidal thoughts, panic attacks, and other mental issues. This call will allow your admin to deliver instant help to the users.
- In-app Call/Chat: This can be used to consult with experts. This will ensure their safety as you can record these chats and calls.
- Payment: For professional consultation or other plans, payment can be made with safe and secure payment gateways.
- Reviews: Allow users to share their experience with your app or expert through chat, call, or rating.
On-Demand Delivery App – Deliver the Essentials
Overview: Coronavirus spread and physical distancing norms have shifted the physical store shoppers to eCommerce sites. As a consequence, On-demand delivery apps have seen an influx of users. eCommerce website traffic has increased tremendously in this pandemic period.
Why? People are seeking a medium that can allow them to stay safe and stay in. On-demand app development has become the need of the hour. It offers people the comfort of ordering from their homes and getting their essentials at the doorstep.
How? In order to flourish your on-demand mobile app ideas like grocery delivery app, home services app, food-delivery app, etc., it is crucial to provide convenience to users. Features like contactless delivery and instant service have become the point of attraction for customers during COVID times.
What Features Should Your On-demand App Must-Have?
- Contactless Parcel Carriage: This is the main attraction of on-demand apps. You will have to ensure this to ensure the safety of delivery personnel and customers.
- Multiple Delivery options: With this feature, users can choose the most suitable one according to their preference. This ensures their safety.
- Online Payment Gateways: Make sure to include the safest modes of payment options.
- In-app Calls or Chat: This will ensure the safety of your customers. Real-time contact can be initiated in case of need.
- Order/Service history: The customers should be provided with a summary of their last orders.
- Order tracking: This helps in tracking the progress of the delivery of any order on a real-time basis.
- Push notifications: You can use this feature to notify your users about their orders, cancellations, and deliveries.
Read More: How to Create an On-Demand App?
Thinking About “Where to Start”? Go for an Unconventional Digital Solution for your COVID App Ideas
Facing the dilemma during this challenging time is normal but wantrepreneurs need to be courageous and forthcoming. Standing out among the crowd is the only way to make a difference. However, investing in mobile app ideas is not the moot point.
The argument has to be about the ways to outshine. We, at Sparx IT Solutions, are offering special attention to such dreamy and zealous entrepreneurs. Being in this industry from the past 13 years as an acclaimed mobile application development company, we have understood that the industry can only grow when we appreciate and encourage new entrants.
With the holistic approach and immense hope, we are ready to help you out with the ideation and conceptualization of your mobile app. Let us ideate, innovate, and create an unconventional mobile app together!